About Me

My photo
Web person at the Imperial War Museum, just completed PhD about digital sustainability in museums (the original motivation for this blog was as my research diary). Posting occasionally, and usually museum tech stuff but prone to stray. I welcome comments if you want to take anything further. These are my opinions and should not be attributed to my employer or anyone else (unless they thought of them too). Twitter: @jottevanger

Thursday, August 30, 2007

PLANETS in alignment?

Thanks to my co-stude at Leicester, Alex Whitfield, who drew this project to my attention (the British Library, where Alex works). From the "About" page of the site:

Planets will deliver:

  • Preservation Planning services that empower organisations to define, evaluate, and execute preservation
  • Methodologies, tools and services for the Characterisation of digital objects
  • Innovative solutions for Preservation Actions tools which will transform and emulate obsolete digital assets
  • An Interoperability Framework to seamlessly integrate tools and services in a distributed service network
  • A Testbed to provide a consistent and coherent evidence-base for the objective evaluation of different protocols, tools, services and complete preservation plans
  • A comprehensive Dissemination and Takeup program to ensure vendor adoption and effective user training.